Thursday, September 10, 2009

All Things Shannon


Dear Important Person From Washington DC,


This afternoon I spoke with you regarding a reference for Shannon Burke. I answered all of the questions that you had asked to the very best of my ability. However, as I sit and think back on our conversation, there are so many things that I feel we missed out on, things I need to tell you. Shannon blew into my life just over two years ago as an AmeriCorps Volunteer.


First, she worked in the role of Volunteer Coordinator, then Community Relations Coordinator …. Either way, many, including Shannon would say she was, “Tamara’s Bitch”. I would be lying to say that everything from that first moment was flowers and candy. We have had many rough spots along the way – way too private to share with you. Yet somewhere along the way it was as if this really strongvine encased us and continues to wrap us together. Neither one of us is quite sure how to describe it. When we were together at the AmeriCorps Build a Thon in Cedar Rapids, someone asked if we were ‘best friends’. We both kind of shook our heads. Shannon said, “I wouldn’t really classify us as friends.” It’s true. I’m not sure there is a classification. She is just my person. That simple.


Today as you consider Shannon for this position, these are the things I wish you could know.


• She quotes great West Wing!

• Shannon will drop everything she is doing and come running to see a giant hair I just found on my chin - and appropriately ooh and ahhh. (Hypothetically)

• When you start random games like ‘GREEN TRUCK’ you don’t have to explain it to her. She just gets it…and me. Without explanation. (If you haven’t heard the rage – On long road trips you randomly scream at the top of your lungs GREEN TRUCK! When one goes by) (Not to be confused with RED TRUCK, and BLUE TRUCK)

• If you were in a dark alley – she is the person that you would want by your side… If you were in jail, she is probably the person sitting next to you.

• She is a great writer, which is a huge compliment for me…yet when when we volley words back and forth for several days….they become magic.

• Shannon is a great teacher. She taught my kids ‘the bloods’ sign….something every 13 and 15 year old should know.

• She can give up to date Hollywood gossip, list what is going on in the supreme court and give the latest MLB standings in the same breath.

• She jumps up immediately when in the middle of the day you exclaim – “Let’s have a high kick contest.”

• She hates it when you call her prickly – like the cactus.

• Random information? – She’s your gal.

• It takes a while, but if you’re patient, and peel away the layers, she will love you completely. No questions. No matter what.


One last thing… The Shannon I met two years ago was pretty incredible; the one I am sending to you is SIMPLY PHENOMINAL. She is unique and special in every way. I beg you to handle her with care. She will not simply be missed. A piece of me will no longer be in South Bend.

No comments: