Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Confessions of a Jonas Stalker
















Confessions of a Jonas Stalker, as told by a mother that enables them. The following, I am embarrassed to say is a true story. .. a sad true story! You may at the end of this choose to question the wisdom of my being a mom. (Something that I do often).

So a daily fight between my girls is… what one is going to marry Nick Jonas. I knew I was in trouble when the brothers Jonas went on tour. I went to the concert oh so willingly. --- If oh so willingly means kicking and screaming about entering the Seventh Circle of Hell.

The day after the show is where the real story begins. We were on our way home from the Windy City when Ken received a tweet from a JB band member that they were getting ready for a softball game in the city. - I looked at Mark, I looked down at me in my pajamas, we looked at the girls and decided – FINE… It was only a short detour to turn around on the toll road and scour Grant Park for the boys playing softball… shoot, it was a beautiful day and we’ve been known to travel to the city for popcorn…and I had met Shawn Cassidy when I was 13 perhaps …. Thus began the embarrassing stalking of the JON- I.

We traveled through Grant Park - Yes Maddie was sporting binoculars. …but no luck, the best we found was a kickball tournament. A quick drive around area 4 -5 star hotels, then up to Lincoln Park to check the diamonds out up there. As we were getting ready to head back toward home thinking we gave it the ‘old college try’, Kennedy sent an email to the Twitter of the band manager asking where they were… 3 minutes later, he posted the address, and said ‘come and find us.’

…At that point, we were really beyond the point of no return. Who cares that the address was 35 minutes away… who cares that I hadn’t showered… We were now on a mission. Our eyes glazed over. Off we went. The girl’s excitement growing with each mile. We watched the miles go down on the navigator as we neared the softball field… almost there… less than 300 yards away… victory is ours…

and all of a sudden, their tour bus goes whizzing by us in the opposite direction. The girls screamed, I cringed, Mark, dug in deep, quick did a U Turn, and the chase was on - As they stopped for the toll booth, I laughingly told Ken to get out and go knock on the bus door. (The reason I didn’t tell Maddie is that she would have)… We were in pursuit, following the bus - those boys had to get off the bus somewhere! Then the unthinkable happened… The gas light came on… the buzzer went off…we were in deep need of petro.

Mark didn’t flinch… he confidently said – I CAN DO THIS. GOOD LORD! SEROUSLY, how old am I? About 10 miles later we raced ahead and got $5.00 gas at an oasis the girls cheering him on … GO GO GO. Off we went to look for the bus... binoculars or no binoculars… it was gone.

Deflated, we started toward home. As we neared O’Hare, I was looking out the window, and exclaimed, “Mark – there are tour busses by the Hotel Intercontinental“ For the umpteenth time of the day, turned around, paid more tolls and raced to the Hotel….10 Jonas brothers busses in total. – I’m convinced I could be in the CIA. So we pull up the camera to look at pictures of license plates (At this point we are much beyond over the edge). …The bus we followed not there. Grrrr… I hate defeat! We decided to take one last look at the venue before leaving town.

As we turn the corner, there it is… in its glory the tour bus we were searching for. Mark and the girls, struck up a conversation with the driver to learn the following: when we saw the bus and did the U turn at the ball fields, he didn’t have the band with him…. Nope… He had just dropped them off. They had been playing softball the entire time… Oh so close… Sorry Ken and Maddie… I’m not sure if I’m sorry we turned around and chased a tour bus across Chicago in vain, or if I’m sorry, you got stuck with us as parents!WHAT DORKS WE ARE!

No comments: